Saturday, October 5, 2019

Sick Day

Most people are super excited when they have a sick day! They are so excited to spend their day in bed watching movies or catching up on new shows! However, I am not one of those people. When I have to take a day off of work for a sick day I end up feeling guilty. Last night, I had an allergic reaction. I still am unsure of what the reaction was to, but my eyes were very swollen. I was able to take Benadryl before I went to sleep, and I was hoping when I woke up in time to get ready for work, the swelling would have gone down tremendously. It did not! My eyes were still swollen when I woke up, so I began to get nervous because I did not know what I was allergic to. I was home by myself because my parents had just left for a vacation to Hawaii (must be nice!!!), but I did not want to bother them or make them nervous before they got on the plane. I ended up having to take the day off from work and I took Benadryl all day long. I was able to relax, which was much needed, and I was able to catch up on some of my homework, but I did miss my day at work. I hope that I will be able to get back on track and go back to work!!


Vocabulary Terms:

1. guilty (adjective)- responsible for wrongdoing
2. allergic reaction (noun)- occurs when immune system reacts to a harmless subject or the allergen 
3. swollen (verb)- part of body becomes larger or rounder in size
4. Benadryl (noun)- an antihistamine used to treat systems of allergic reactions
5. tremendously (adverb)- to a very great extent
6. nervous (adjective)- to be nervous or anxious

Vocabulary Activity: 
Unscramble the words in the sentences. Then re-write the sentence with the correct vocabulary term. 

1. I felt tgyiul when I was not able to go to work although I did not feel well.
2. When you experience an llgareic teracnio, your eyes can swell up.
3. My ankle was wsllone after I fell off of the curb. 
4. If you are experiencing an allergic reaction you can take neydBaer to fix your symptoms. 
5. My eyes were swollen tmderneudsylo.
6. I was souvenir when I was home alone.

Grammar Point: Comma Usage

1. Use commas to separate independent clauses. 
Example: I went to the beach, and then I ate a sandwich.

2. Use commas after an introductory clause or phrase. 
Example: When I ate lunch, he called me on the phone.

3. Use a comma in between all items in a series. 
Example: (listing) I like apples, bananas, and grapes.

4. Use a comma to set off nonrestrictive clauses. 
Example: Johnny, my cousin, will be coming over.

5. Use a comma to set off appositives.
Example: The Jets, the rulers, are going to win the Super Bowl.

6. Use a comma to indicate direct address.
Example: Anthony, I do not believe you are correct.

7. Use commas to set off direct quotations.
Example: He said, "Do you think they will get married?"

8. Use commas with dates, addresses, titles and numbers.
Example: Today is Saturday, October 5, 2019.

Information found at: https://www.iue.edu/hss/writingcenter/documents/Commas.pdf

For more information about commas visit:
https://www.grammarly.com/blog/comma/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQOX3UdeAZI


Grammar Activity: 
Place commas in the correct spot using a red pen. 

1. Yesterday was Friday October 4 2019.
2. Last night Paul and I watched the Yankee game on television.
3. When you go to the grocery store please buy bread chicken and ice cream.
4. I went to the park it took 5 minutes to walk there.
5. She asked me "Do you want to ride with me?"

Create 5 of your own sentences using commas correctly.

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you had an allergic reaction at such an inconvenient time! I hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. -Kerri McDonagh (not sure if my account linked to the comment)

      Delete
  2. Very nice entry with great examples of the grammar point!

    Next time you have an allergic reaction be sure to go to the doctor, or even go now to be tested for allergies just to be safe.

    ReplyDelete